We're looking for an Editorial Assistant to join our award-winning editorial team at Praetorian Digital, which operates the most visited news and information websites for U.S. first responders. Our sites - which collectively average more than 12 million page views each month - deliver critical news, commentary, video and training content to police, fire, EMS, and military.
You must be a verifiable news junkie, the sort of person who loves being first to post killer news - whenever it occurs - and watching page views soar. You should know your Reddits from your Buzzfeeds, and love scouring the web for news our readers will respond to. You can write snappy headlines, Facebook posts and accurate copy, and you get a rush seeing your articles pull in traffic.
This role presents a unique opportunity to grow within a strong, supportive, creative editorial department that is on the forefront of B2B digital media, including a collective network of 3 million Facebook fans.
Primarily, you will...
- Find, write and post daily news
- Manage the production of our award-winning editorial eNewsletters
- Do an amazing job driving traffic and interaction as lead contributor on our Facebook and Twitter pages
- Play a role in major coverage efforts, whether news-related (eg. Las Vegas mass shooting) or special industry coverage (Policing in the Video Age or Shot Show)
- Review our traffic reports to gain a strong understanding of how our readers interact with your content
- Contribute ideas for how to better deliver content on the site, via new features or website functionality
- Original content writing to help drive traffic back to the site with engaging features
- Experience in an editorial news or online content-creating/curating role
- Exceptional attention to detail
- A good knowledge of news and social bookmarking sites
- Command of AP Style, including headline and caption writing
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent social media skills
- Ability to work within a team collaborative environment
- Excellent computer/technical skills
- Basic HTML knowledge
- A bachelor's degree in Journalism preferred but not required
- Solid understanding of and interest in online technologies that support online media
This position is full time with a stock option plan and benefits, including health care, dental and retirement.
Please send your resume, writing samples and a brief letter outlining your background to the email above.
About Praetorian Digital
As the global leader in digital media for public safety and local government officials, Praetorian Digital helps departments, municipalities, companies, organizations and citizens keep their communities safe and secure. Our network of flagship websites, proprietary learning management system and workflow tools deliver expert content and technical solutions that facilitate information sharing, enhance effectiveness, mitigate risk and streamline training.
We’ve built an incredible track record of success since the company was founded in 1999. Profitable since 2005 and now approaching $18 million in revenue with a growth rate in excess of 15% per year, we have the most experienced digital team in the industry with a passionate culture and start-up energy that permeates our business. Our network reach exceeds 30% market penetration domestically representing nearly 1.6 million first responders plus a strong foothold in local government and military.
At its core, Praetorian Digital is also a thriving digital media company based in San Francisco and Dallas with an active and vibrant company culture. We’ve created an environment where talented employees can develop hands-on experience in marketing, editorial, production, product development, operations and business management - while also watching firsthand how their efforts enable our members to literally save lives.